Thursday, March 29, 2007

Recipe: Banana-Coconut Granola

I came up with this recipe for a super-awesome nut-free granola that I just know my kids are gonna love. I've been making them granola, partly to save money and partly to use up all these cans of oats I found when I rearranged the food storage area in the garage. Except for the batch I burned, they tell me that the granola I make is superior to the storebought granola.


Banana-Coconut Granola

1 1/2 cups dried banana slices
5 oz. coconut flakes
6 cups regular rolled oats
2/3 c. oil
2/3 c. honey
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. powdered ginger

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Chop banana slices and coconut in food processor. Add to oats and mix. In separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients with whisk. While stirring oat mixture, add oil mixture to oat mixture and stir until evenly moistened. Spread on two cookie sheets and bake for 50-55 minutes, stirring or shaking every 10-15 minutes. Let cool. Store in airtight container.