Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Fabulous Rice Milk Machine

I bought a soy milk making machine to make rice milk for Knuckles. (We can buy Rice Dream at Wal-Mart, but it's not gluten-free. Plus it's kinda expensive, about twice as expensive as cow's milk.) I've made two batches now and I think I've got the formula down pat. I'm using brown rice since it has more nutrients in it (and it also seems to have a better taste than milk made with the white rice), I pre-soak it, and after it goes through the machine I strain it and add about 1/4 cup of sugar. Later I'll experiment with adding flavored syrups instead of the sugar. I haven't checked all our Torani syrups but I know there are some on the market that don't have corn syrup in them because I bought a strawberry syrup at Sam's Club that didn't have corn syrup. There are also sugar-free syrups.

Knuckles gives this rice milk formulation his seal of approval in that he's chowing down on his bottle. He sucked down the entire 10 ounce bottle without coming up for air, and when it was finished wouldn't let me pull it out of his mouth.