Friday, February 23, 2007

Gluten Free Cookies (Gingersnaps)

Today I tried to make some gluten-free cookies by adapting an existing recipe. I used a recipe for gingersnaps that I've made before, first because I like gingersnaps, but second because I knew what these were supposed to look and taste like.

I had to substitute Nucoa margarine (one of the few brands that doesn't have milk in it) because I could not find my shortening. I could have sworn I bought a can of shortening, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Nucoa is basically butter flavored shortening anyway, so I just used that. I substituted a GF flour mix (2 c. rice flour, 2/3 c. potato starch, 1/3 c. tapioca starch, 1 Tbsp. xanthan gum) for the flour and used Ener-G Egg Replacer for the egg.

These gingersnaps usually go onto the sheet in balls and come out of the oven as flat round cookies. This time, though, the gingersnaps stayed pretty well domed and didn't "spread", so they were a little doughy in the middle. They also need something that I can't put my finger on-- more sugar? or maybe could do without the buttery flavor of the Nucoa? Still very toothsome, though, and certainly being the only cookies I can eat in the house at the moment makes them even tastier.