Thursday, August 10, 2006

I Got Bit By One Of Those Lousy Muses

OK, you're all going to think I'm totally nuts (if you don't already) but I have been possessed by a burning desire to make rosaries. One rosary, in particular, that's sort of a whimsical rosary for girls, with large glass bird beads for the Our Fathers and glass millefiori-style flower beads for the Hail Marys. Kind of like what a rosary would look like if it were made by Gymboree.

I have no idea where this comes from. I have Catholic relatives, but I'm not Catholic and while I've always been fascinated by Catholic ritual and I think beads are cool, I have no idea why I would become obsessed with a desire to make a rosary the likes of which nobody has ever seen before. All the rosaries I've ever seen are staid, serious rosaries with little monotone beads on them, not humungus glass monstrosities grown wild with colors. And yet something inside is telling me that kids don't like those grown-up rosaries and would probably rather pray on something colorful and exciting.

What should I do? Should I give into the muse and make this rosary? Should I go all-out and use the most colorful beads, or should I make it get a little more serious (as serious as a rosary with bird beads can get) and use some more mundane beads for the Hail Marys? Should I abandon the idea altogether?