Saturday, December 16, 2006

Can I Just Say...

I want to live in a world where people appreciate ingenuity-- not just the kind of ingenuity that comes up with new gadgets, but that makes day-to-day life better using materials at hand.

I want to live in a world where someone who makes an attractive children's coat out of a moth-eaten blanket is looked up to more than someone who bought an expensive coat for their child. I want people to be praised who put their broken cribs back together and reinforce their changing tables with steel so they can be used for toddlers. I want people who build their own server rack or solar power supply for their laptop to be cool.

I want to feel like when I make lemonade out of the lemons life hands me, that I don't have to feel ashamed because it's not Country Time Lemonade.