Friday, December 15, 2006

Happy Hanukkah

Happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate! As regular OBF readers know, I too celebrate Hanukkah, although mostly out of sheer habit since it's my dad's relatives who are Jewish.

Bagel was really frustrated because I wouldn't let him stand near the pot of boiling oil where the latkes were frying. I mean, it was bad enough that he could smell the food and yet wasn't being fed-- now he couldn't see the food either! I thought I'd distract him by putting out a bowl of what turned out to be peanut butter frosting (it was supposed to be something else but I got the proportions all wrong). Unbeknownst to me, the peanut-allergic Knuckles crawled into the kitchen and got into the peanut butter frosting, so that necessitated a pause in cooking while I took Bagel and Knuckles upstairs to wash the frosting out of their hair and dose Knuckles up with Benadryl. After that Knuckles threw up, and then he was fine (albeit with some redness lingering in his cheeks).

Bagel, as it turns out, really enjoys gefilte fish. I mean, REALLY enjoys it. He ate about half a jar of it. I like gefilte fish, personally, but evidently I don't like it near as much as he does. Knuckles, for his part, enjoys latkes, and ate two of them all by himself.

It was fun to make latkes again (although it'd be much more fun if I owned a food processor) and I'm seriously contemplating inviting some friends over so that I can make more latkes tomorrow.

Mmmmmmm, latkes...