Thursday, October 19, 2006

Now We Have The Complete Set

Guess what? Knuckles is allergic to peanuts.

In an effort to get Bagel to eat something, anything, for breakfast, I made Bagel several different dishes, one of which was an English muffin with peanut butter on it. Bagel left it where Knuckles could reach it, and so Knuckles got himself a nice little schmear of peanut butter.

I noticed it when I walked back in from getting some food out of the garage, and saw that Tony's face was covered in hives and his lips were so swollen that they looked like they'd been pasted on his face from an 1800's-era caricature of a black person. His hands are also swollen, indicating that even contact with peanuts might be a no-no for him. We'll have to be the Peanut Nazi parents that everyone loves to hate. We'll have to instruct his girlfriends (when he has them) not to eat anything with peanuts if they intend to kiss him. We'll have to carry around a large bag everywhere we go, filled with peanut-free foods and an Epi-Pen. Please tell me I won't have to give up my Reese's Peanut Butter Cups too!

He's had a lot of reactions lately to things the kids have given him to eat. We know that he is allergic to either cheese or mushrooms (the kids gave him both and I haven't done a rechallenge). I'm rooting for mushrooms, because if I have to cut out cheese from our menus, my husband will personally murder me.

So now we have another food allergy to add to our family's already extensive collection! Here's what we have so far:

lactose intolerance
all fresh fruits except citrus
all fresh vegetables
peanuts
possibly dairy as well

If you cut out all the fruits, vegetables, dairy, and peanuts, what's left to eat??

If I ever have another child, I'd bet good money he'll turn up allergic to meat.