Sunday, April 30, 2006

With Parents Kind Of Weird

Anyone who's grown up Mormon knows such classic song lyrics as "I am a child of God, and he has sent me here, has given me an earthly home with parents kind and dear kind of weird..." and "High on the mountain top, a banner is unfurled rabbit chased a squirrel..." and has at least once recited the thirteenth Article of Faith as "We believe in being honest, true, chased by elephants..." In my family, we have a sort of a tradition of making up alternative lyrics to hymns and Primary songs. My dad sings "Bob, the builder of the nation" and other songs.

This afternoon as we were leaving church, my kids started to sing "Mother, I love you, Mother, I do..." to which I replied to the melody, "Show me you love me by cleaning your room..."

It's great to pass on a family tradition.