Thursday, April 20, 2006

We're Getting A Divorce

Recently I threatened to leave my husband and go live with my brother-in-law... well, my domain did, anyway. FH has been running both curious-workmanship.com and the Hermit family's personal website on our craptastic little server, which is down a lot and is badly in need of a new motherboard. I'm sure that in future years, when my e-commerce business has brought us fame and fortune and we are living in our gigantic dream house with the duck pond, the industrial kitchen, and the three home theaters, we will look back on these days and laugh and say, "Remember when we had that server that you held together with chewing gum and duct tape?" But until then, my domain name and FH's server are getting a divorce.

It's not just the down time. The straw that broke the camel's back is the SSL certificate. I've gotta have one to accept credit cards, and FH tells me that if I want to have one, I'll have to have my own IP address. So I'm looking for a new apartment a web hosting service, preferably one that offers very inexpensive SSL certificates. If you have any suggestions, please leave them in the comments. In particular I'd like to know: if I get the $20/yr certificate from GoDaddy.com, will it be OK? Or is it worth it to pay the bigger bucks?

It'll be better this way. Our computers won't fight over little things like rebooting the server or reconfiguring the LAN any more. The kids will be much better off.