Thursday, July 03, 2008

Vive la Revolution

I'm doing my 4th of July post a day early, because tomorrow I'm going to be extraordinarily busy. Princess, Sonshine and I will be with the float for the new charter school, and later I'll be working the beanbag toss booth.

The charter school is very important to me because I am tired of the tyranny of unelected bureaucrats over the education of our children. I am tired of parents and students being tread upon, like the snake in the revolutionary flag. Well, school board, DON'T TREAD ON ME.

The charter school is, in my opinion, a sublimely American institution. It is the government of the school by the parents and for the parents. Like the Constitution, the charter lays out the school's founding principles. There are checks and balances so that no one parent or group of parents wields all the power. It inspires me. It makes me want to march in front of that float waving a big American flag, waving it in the faces of the school board, the feckless principals and PTA presidents. Sic Semper Tyrannis, bureaucrats! Your desk won't protect you when the charter school revolution comes!

And so like our country, the charter school is worth working for. It empowers people. It says not "let Mommy take care of you, now you run off and play" but "come with us, help build something worthwhile". It has the power to fire us up to enthusiasm about the next generation. It is truly revolutionary.

And so I call to the parents of Tooele the immortal words of Les Miserables:
Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?
Then join in the fight that will give you the right to be free!

May the principles of our republic stand immortal! Vive la Revolution!