Tuesday, July 15, 2008

T.E.S.L.A. : Sundials

Continuing our Sun Month theme, today in T.E.S.L.A. we made sundials out of paper plates. I made the sundial faces in Microsoft Publisher and printed them out. If anyone wants the sundial face with the hour lines marked for Tooele's latitude (about 40 degrees), I've got it in PDF format and would happily email it to you.

We ran out of time to make the giant analemmatic sundial but I have a spreadsheet to do the calculations for it; if anyone wants to make a giant sundial just email me. They can be a bit intimidating for anyone who's been too long out of trigonometry. The spreadsheet also does the calculations for the hour lines for the paper plate sundial, so if you're at a different latitude you can make your own sundial face.

Oh, and don't forget to correct for magnetic declination when you're orienting your sundial to the north. Last time I did this, it was off by quite a bit because I forgot to make this correction.