Wednesday, March 29, 2006

So Much For Childproofing

I had bought a small stool for my kitchen so that I could reach some of the higher cupboards. (For some reason that I have never been able to figure out, kitchens just don't seem to be built with short-armed 5'2" women in mind.) About a week ago, though, I realized that Bagel was using the kitchen stool to get into things. The stool was light enough that he could drag it all over, and high enough that he could reach the suckers, the bread cooling on the counter, etc. And of course he'd watched me stand on the stool while cooking dinner, so he knew how it was used. So I started shutting the stool up in the pantry when not in use.

Today while I was upstairs I heard the toaster "pop", so I went down to see what Bagel was doing. He'd pulled a kitchen chair over and pushed down the toaster button.

So much for childproofing. Nothing gets past little Mr. Mechanical.