Saturday, November 26, 2005

Shopping On Black Friday

We had a great Thanksgiving up in Logan. FH and I went to see Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire. I couldn't remember the last time we had been on a date. I think it's been at least since August, but probably longer than that because we didn't have time to date in all the pre-move craziness.

On Friday, we decided to go shopping while we had the chance to go together, just me and FH, entirely kidless. I'd been out shopping on Black Friday before, and it had been total hell. The last time I went, I went to JoAnn Fabrics for the 99 cent a yard flannel (which, by the way, I'm still working my way through). I arrived before the store opened, and there was a huge line out into the parking lot. I stood for hours in line at the cutting table. It was not fun, and definitely not something I'd do while six months pregnant and wearing my uncomfortable shoes (I couldn't find the comfortable ones before I left).

If you wait until about 9 am, though, you can avoid a lot of the insanity that accompanies Black Friday. We didn't need any of the things that were in the 5 a.m. specials in the ads, and we wanted to visit mostly local businesses anyway instead of chain stores. We did go to Michaels, because I had to get some framing supplies, and Borders, because we needed some books. But what I was really looking forward to were my trips to Kitchen Kneads and Bluebird Candies. At the latter store, I bought two pounds of my favorite assorted chocolates. You can't get anything near as good in the grocery store. And Kitchen Kneads is the only store I know of that carries the Ariel brand of dealcoholized wine (which, by the way, they started doing at my suggestion). It was not hectic at all in the stores (except for a little bit at Michaels). We had all our shopping finished by lunchtime.

I love shopping in Logan. Everything is so close. They have the same stores you can find in larger cities, but they're pretty much all within a mile of each other, and there are also tons of cute little local businesses with great merchandise. You can get just about anything you want there.