Thursday, August 25, 2005

Bagel Has A Problem

I've been sick the last few days, and today the nausea has just been overwhelming, so I have not gone anywhere without my tin of Altoids to combat the nausea of early pregnancy. Bagel, however, seems to have a problem with my tin of Altoids, and I have no idea what it is. I thought maybe he wanted to see what they tasted like, so I gave him one (which he immediately spat out in disgust).

Since the tasting, he has never been satisfied with the placement of the tin of Altoids. If it is out of his sight, he gets upset; but if he can see it, he throws it as far away from him as possible, preferably down stairs. It particularly distresses him if I put it in my shirt pocket; he will whine at me testily and immediately pull it out. He pushes it toward me, and if I take an Altoid out and eat it, he gets really upset. But if I hide it, he gets even more upset. He reaches for it like he wants to pick it up and shake it, but when he gets it in his hand, he begins to whine at it and then he throws it. I've tried every permutation, position, and configuration of him, me, and the tin of Altoids, and none of them seem to be what he wants.

As near as I can tell, his beef with the tin is that on every occasion where he has seen fit to pick it up, it has utterly failed to be full of something he wants to eat. Instead it is full of these strong minty things that taste entirely unlike candy, every single time. Not once today have the contents of the tin conformed to his expectations. If you have any better ideas as to what he might be thinking, please enlighten me in the comments.