Thursday, November 11, 2004

Veteran's Day

Happy Veterans' Day!

I've seen bumper stickers that say, "If you can read this, thank a teacher." I've also seen some that say "If you are reading this in English, thank a veteran."

My sister gave her thanks to Favorite Husband for serving (FH served 8 years in the Air Force). It was really nice to see someone thanking him for his service. When he was gone on his many temporary and not-so-temporary assignments, everyone said "if there's anything we can do, just let us know" which, translated, means either "I don't really know what to do so I'm hoping you can give me orders" or "I don't really care enough to actually get to know you and know what you need, but I don't want to appear insensitive in public". If one person had ever just simply said "Thank you" instead, it would have made a big impact.

FH left the Air Force about 8 years ago, shortly before we got pregnant with Tiny Princess. Back then, military service was viewed in some circles as a sort of necessary embarrassment, if you had a family member in the service it was like having a used car salesman or a sleazy trial lawyer in the family. Even my own parents didn't want anyone in their family being in the military. There was this vague feeling of anti-military-ism hanging in the air. I'm extremely heartened to see that nowadays the armed services are getting more of the respect they deserve.

Please take the time to thank all the veterans you know. Call them on your cell phone while waiting in line at the Veterans' Day sale at Shopko.