Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Recipe: Herbed White/Wheat Bread

I like to make my bread with half wheat flour and half white flour. This is partly because my crappy secondhand $20 wheat grinder can't grind flour fine enough to make an all-wheat loaf, and partly because people who like white bread and people who like wheat bread can find a middle ground on a half-and-half loaf. You could easily substitute all white or all wheat flour if you prefer. I like to make this bread with freshly ground wheat, and olive oil. I mark the tops of my bread with a razor blade; the marking for this loaf is a single stalk of wheat motif (I use two crossed stalks for whole wheat).

Herbed Wheat And White Bread
Makes 2 large or 3 small loaves
2 Tbsp. yeast
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 c. warm water
3 c. white flour
3 c. wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. dried rosemary
2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 c. oil

Dissolve yeast and 2 Tbsp. sugar in warm water. Add to other ingredients; mix to make dough. Knead until smooth. Let rise in oiled bowl until double. Punch down, knead briefly, and shape into loaves. Let rise again. Mark with razor blade if desired. Bake at 350ยบ for approx. 35 minutes or until done.