Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Can't Get A Word In Edgewise

I finally found someone with worse social skills than myself.

She's a really nice lady. I met her when she was considering sending her son to the charter school; she asked me about my experience with it, and she eventually decided to send him there. I feel for her; it must be hard being a Unitarian in this predominantly Mormon area. I think she's a really interesting person, and I'd like to get to know her better.

But whenever I talk to this woman, it's always feast or famine: either she just waves at me, or she goes on and on and on and on and on about something she assumes I'm interested in. Once she overheard me checking on my daughter's allergy medication with the office staff; she then buttonholed me and started telling me about this wonderful air filter that filters out all the pollen. It seemed like she talked about it for five minutes before I could get a word in edgewise to tell her that my daughter has a food allergy, and even the most wonderful air filter in the world won't help.

Today, I got a chance to talk to her again. I always look forward to talking with other adults, mostly because it's nice to talk to people who don't have to be constantly reminded not to insert the handle of my yarn ball winder in the nearest available orifice. I thought I might have an interesting conversation with such a fascinating person, but it was not to be. It started off well-- I showed her the recycled yarn poncho I was working on, she told me about a hydrogen car school project-- but then she went off on some leftist rant about invading other countries for their oil and how Bush Sr. was entirely responsible for the installment of Saddam Hussein, etc. etc. All I could do was nod politely until it became necessary to run away after Sonshine (mercifully, that opportunity came along quickly).

Do us all a favor, everyone. Don't assume that because someone agrees with you on a few issues, they agree with you on everything and want to hear all your political opinions.