Monday, August 23, 2004

First Day Of School

Tiny Princess is awaiting transport to her first day of school. We bought a lunch pass so that I could take it easy this week, because I knew it would take me a while to get back in the swing of the school schedule, especially now that I have to work around Bagel's need to nurse. She's really eager to use her lunch pass, so I decided not to pack a lunch for her today.

Sonshine doesn't start school until tomorrow (he goes Tuesday and Thursday mornings). As soon as he's gone, I'm getting straight to work. I'm going to box up most of the kids' toys and take them to storage. They'll get a box back every week once they prove they can take care of the few I'm going to leave them with. I'm so sick of stepping on every toy car, marble, tea cup and doll furniture in the house. I'm sick of picking up fifteen million toys from the living room, only to discover that their idea of "putting away" their box of toys was to dump it in the doorways of their rooms. I've been threatening to take away the toys, and now that school's started, it's time to make good on my threat.

We also need the toys out of the way to rearrange the children's furniture before the weather gets so bad that we can't put furniture temporarily on the porch. And the toys desperately need to be "edited". There are just too many of them. We'll give the extra ones to charity. I tried to get the kids to select toys to give to charity, but they just couldn't bring themselves to do it.