Saturday, September 06, 2008

Recipe: Squash Soup, or, What To Do With A Gigantic Squash, Part 1

Someone gave us a gigantic squash that was over 2 feet long. I decided I'd better do something about it so I turned it into squash puree. I cut the squash up into sections, boiled the crap out of it in my largest stockpot, and fed it through a Victorio strainer. What I'm going to do with the puree is another story. I figured I could always punt and freeze the stuff, and figure out what to do with it later. I thought I might make some of it into squash leather (which would be tastier than it sounds, and a great snack for the kids; scroll to bottom of link for recipe) but there was way more squash puree than I could use for a batch of that, even if I used the dehydrator along with the oven.

Since I spent all morning on the kids and the squash, though, it got to be lunchtime and I hadn't done anything toward making lunch. So I made an impromptu squash soup out of some of the puree that hadn't been drained yet. It turned out really well! So, for posterity, here's the recipe of what to make for lunch on the day you process the squash of fall.

Squash Soup
4 c. squash puree
2 c. water (more if puree has been drained)
1 Tbsp. chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. sage
Mix all ingredients and heat to desired temperature.