Friday, September 17, 2004

Happy Birthday, Constitution

Every year our town celebrates the day the Constitution was signed. There are pageants and presentations, assemblies and speeches. It is so great to live in a town where the Constitution is actually celebrated, not just invoked when convenient and ignored when not convenient.

This year a friend of mine, a new parent of children at the charter school, has gotten rather heavily involved with decorations and preparations for the Constitution Day assembly (new parent exuberance, I think). I already did the shopping for all the yellow ribbon and lent her my red, white and blue buntings, and I went over to her house and helped her make yellow ribbon pins for the students; nevertheless, I have a feeling she'll be looking for me this morning to tie yellow florist bows for all the school's trees.