Saturday, July 24, 2004

Bagel with Cream Cheese

Bagel went for his checkup earlier this week and weighed in at a whopping 9 lbs. 9.5 oz. That's a gain of over 2 pounds in 3 weeks. I think I'm not giving milk, I'm giving half-and-half!

(Explicit descriptions of breasts and breastfeeding follow)

Bagel is definitely getting plenty of milk. My breasts got quite a bit bigger with this pregnancy, so much so that my largest bra no longer fits me, and the next size up is only available through special order. I've been going around braless rather than risk having to fight mastitis again (from the plugged ducts that don't drain properly with the too-tight bra). When my milk lets down, it comes out so fast that Bagel chokes on it; when he pulls off the breast to catch his breath, milk sprays all over his little face. He has so much milk in him that sometimes he spits up what seems like a quarter cup of milk, and is still full. I've never had this much milk with any of my other kids. And what's most ironic is that if I try to pump, I can only ever get out an ounce or two of milk.

Does anyone have any advice that could help? I do enjoy my little Bagel with Cream Cheese, but I could do with a few less blessings from Boobula the Breast Goddess.