Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Terrorists Don't Sign Treaties

Today I heard on the radio Senator Biden say, while questioning Attorney General Ashcroft:
"And by the way, there's a reason -- I'll conclude by saying -- there's a reason why we sign these treaties: to protect my son in the military. That's why we have these treaties. So when Americans are captured, they are not tortured. That's the reason, in case anybody forgets it. That's the reason."

And I would defy Senator Biden, or anyone for that matter, to show me where the terrorists signed on to the Geneva Convention. Show us these peaceful terrorists who abide by the rules of war, so that we can identify them and treat them nice.

I'm sure there are perfectly good arguments out there for not using torture. I'm sure there are intelligent people out there who can intelligently argue for the avoidance of its use. I just haven't heard from them yet. Everybody I've heard so far opposing the use of torture is either some kind of academic who hasn't set foot outside his ivory tower for decades, or a chair jockey so far removed from the action that he has no idea what the hell is at stake.