Sunday, March 14, 2004

My Hero's Words

I finally found a piece of writing that expresses exactly what I wanted to say about the terrorist attack in Spain. Of course, someone else wrote it first.

It's from the Book of Mormon. The story so far: my hero, Captain Moroni, has been out fighting for the freedom of his people, but no supplies have been forthcoming, so he writes this really nasty letter to the governor Pahoran in which he accuses him of treason. This particular passage, I think, expresses exactly what I would say to those in Spain who are still anti-war and want to "just understand" the terrorists:

Alma 60:12-14
12 Do ye suppose that, because so many of your brethren have been killed it is because of their wickedness? I say unto you, if ye have supposed this ye have supposed in vain; for I say unto you, there are many who have fallen by the sword; and behold it is to your condemnation;
13 For the Lord suffereth the righteous to be slain that his justice and judgment may come upon the wicked; therefore ye need not suppose that the righteous are lost because they are slain; but behold, they do enter into the rest of the Lord their God.
14 And now behold, I say unto you, I fear exceedingly that the judgments of God will come upon this people, because of their exceeding slothfulness, yea, even the slothfulness of our government, and their exceedingly great neglect towards their brethren, yea, towards those who have been slain.


It could just as easily speak to our homegrown anti-war activists as well, since they all seem to believe that we Westerners have been "killed because of our wickedness".

Like everyone else, of course, I express my deepest sympathies for the people of Spain. At times like this, though, I feel my words are inadequate and my symbolic actions impotent to express how I feel. Since I cannot afford to offer material assistance to the people of Spain, I really have nothing to offer but my solidarity.