Friday, March 19, 2004

Airport Security

Kim du Toit has posted a wonderful story about his experience with airline security people. A must-read for anyone interested in airport security.

I must say his observations are backed up by the experiences of those in my family. My husband travels by air all the time, and has had hundreds of dollars' worth of stuff confiscated from him without so much as a receipt. One time I tried to find out what happens to all the confiscated stuff. No one seemed to know and no one knew of anyone who might be held responsible for knowing, which means that probably TSA employees take it home and/or sell it on eBay for their own profit. My octogenarian grandpa was strip-searched because of a forgotten pair of scissors in the bottom of his carry-on bag, and during this search some cash money for his great-grandkids mysteriously disappeared from his bag.