Monday, March 02, 2009

Recipe: Spiral Stuffed Pork Roast

You've gotta stretch that meat budget, and you can really only eat so much chicken.

I like to keep my meat under $2 a pound, though I've had to raise that limit to $3 a pound for beef. Needless to say, we're having beef less often now. That leaves more room for pork in the menu, to space out the chicken and meatless meals.

I go to Sam's Club and get the cry-o-vac boneless pork loin-- that gigantic strip of meat. When I get it home, I cut it into three equally sized pieces to get three meals out of it. Usually I'll cut one of the thirds up into cubes for stir-fry, one into boneless pork medallions, and leave the last whole for various purposes.

One of those purposes is a spiral stuffed pork roast. I like to do this with the fat end of the loin. I cut the loin open in a spiral so that it lays flat in a sheet of meat. Then I make up a package of Stove Top Stuffing (yes, I'm aware that's cheating) and spread it on top of the meat sheet in an even layer. I roll the meat back up, put it in the oven, and roast it till it's done. To serve, I slice it like a loaf of bread, exposing the spiral of stuffing. It looks like a million dollars!

It's fast, it's easy, and your husband thinks it took a lot of work.