Thursday, March 19, 2009

Looking for debate participants

I would like to hold a CPSIA debate here on my blog. I am looking for participants, especially someone to take the pro-CPSIA side. (Obviously I'm well in touch with plenty of eloquent people who could take the anti-CPSIA side.) I would like the debate to be kind of highbrow, full of facts and logic, with each side doing their best to persuade the reader. I will be moderating because it's easier than participating. :) (Yes, I'm lazy)

These are the terms of the debate.

The debate is in four rounds:
1st round: opening statements, limit 1000 words
2nd round: arguments, limit 2000 words
3rd round: rebuttals, limit 2000 words
4th round: closing statements, limit 1000 words

Each round will be published as two posts on my blog. They will be published at the same time but one will inevitably be a minute before the other, so the order in which that will happen will be determined by a coin flip. There will be a minimum of one day between rounds to allow for composition of posts.

I will act as moderator and will only edit statements for spelling. If there is a deeper problem with a statement (e.g. if it breaks one of the rules), publication of that round will be withheld until we can correct it.

Rules:
No ad hominem attacks on opponent
Avoid disparaging others
Keep to the word count limits
Cite and/or link all quotes and facts

If you are interested in being a participant in this debate, please email me at sarah.natividad -at- gmail.com.