Sunday, December 21, 2008

Pondering a Bacon Christmas... on the first night of Hanukkah

Perhaps some of my neighbors have noticed that I'm not exactly like the other women in Utah. For example:
  • I don't get all hot and fluttery at the thought of a pasty teenage vampire.
  • I can't get green jello to set.
  • I don't scrapbook.
  • I don't wear a CTR ring, or for that matter any CTR jewelry at all. (Now that I think about it, I don't wear that much jewelry anyway. But if I did, it wouldn't say "CTR".)
  • I don't read Gerald Lund novels.
  • I don't like to sit down and dish with my friends about the latest Gerald Lund or Stephenie Meyer novel.
  • In fact I don't read very many novels at all. I'm currently reading The Forgotten Man: A New History of The Great Depression by Amity Shlaes. Yeah, that one goes over like a lead balloon at any book club. And it has the added bonus of making me extremely bored to be talking about my latest book conquest to anyone who doesn't understand economics (including our bishop's wife who has a degree in economics).
  • I don't bake fifteen dozen homemade cookies, put four of them on a plate, and take them to my neighbor's house who has five kids.
This last one, though, may have to change this year, since I had an absolutely brilliant idea.

There are a lot of recipes out there for treats made with bacon. Bacon candy, bacon fudge, even bacon rice krispie treats. Everybody likes bacon, and everybody likes treats, so why wouldn't everybody like bacon treats? We could put them on festive paper plates, tag them with "We were just "bacon" something up for you! Love, the Hermit family" and take them around the neighborhood to all our friends! I ran it past FH and his response was "Bacon... hell yeah! Let's do it!"

OK, I have to confess, I really do get a rise out of the idea of shocking and horrifying my strait-laced Molly Mormon and Peter Priesthood neighbors with something that has absolutely no moral controversy but is nevertheless outside of their cultural repertoire. I like the idea that I'm pushing them to consider how much of what they think is moral or religious is actually cultural and unique to Utah's predominantly LDS conclaves. And of course those among our friends that don't need a push would really get a kick out of trying something new.

Oh, and while we're all thinking about bacon, Happy Hannukah!