Sunday, September 26, 2004

All Dressed In White

I came across this article on a charity that lends wedding dresses to indigent brides.

I think it's a great thing to do. Anything that promotes marriage is a great thing. And I'm sure these people have done a lot of good, and I don't want to take anything away from that. But there was one quote I thought I'd comment on:
"I have talked to many young girls who are longing to be a bride, a beautiful bride as they see in movies, magazines and on TV," said Hicks. "The girls will tell me if they can't get married as they had always dreamed of then they just don't want it. They can't face the let down of not seeing their dreams realized."
This is precisely the sort of girl who would not be well served by a wedding dress charity. It's one thing if you're planning on getting married and you can't afford a dress. It's quite another to throw a pouty fit and say marriage isn't worth it if you can't wear a thousand dollar dress and have a twenty thousand dollar party, As Seen On TV. People who can't cope with the let-down of unfulfilled dreams, or who think their lives should be precisely as pictured on TV, probably ought not be getting married.