Sunday, March 06, 2005

Inexplicability

Favorite Husband is quite distraught. His CD burner is permanently broken after one of his favorite audio CD's exploded inside it.

Yes, that's right. It exploded. Into little, tiny pieces, none of which is over one inch in length. He wasn't using the CD at the time. I heard the drive whir, then POP, and the drive whirring stopped. I thought the sound had come from the computer, but FH assured me that it didn't. Later, though, when he tried to open the drive and had to open it manually, pieces of his disk came out.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's random stuff that ought to be scientifically explainable but nevertheless happens for no apparent reason that anyone can fathom. I wouldn't go so far as to call these things "acts of God" because that phrase is usually reserved for much larger weather phenomena or things that are not scientifically explainable. But if you've got a better explanation for a CD exploding inside a drive, I'd love to hear it.